Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Life drawing and watercolor pencils on kraft paper



I took along some watercolor pencils to a life drawing session last night but I only brought Kraft paper - DOH! If you've ever worked on kraft paper before, you know it's super thin and very prone to air wrinkles. It doesn't take much to ruin the stuff, it's maybe half a step up from newsprint. Needless to say, I didn't get to wet my watercolor pencil bits. Well, I did try it with one but it was a soggy mess of ugly so that was my one and only experiment with kraft paper and watercolor pencils. Next time I'll bring the proper paper. But the colors still look pretty! I decided to work in colored pencil for the body and just add shades of color on the outside. These are all 5-15 minute poses.

Linking up to PPF! :)

15 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! Your life drawings are amazing. I also like the accents of color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I absolutely love these! And I do like the tone of the kraft paper together with the pencil and colour accents. I'm taking a portrait class at the moment, and I love having a model to draw, and I really hope to take a life drawing class in the autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, the color on these is incredible! Makes them sing arias!

    I am perpetually amazed by the sense of shadow and light (and therefore dimension) that you achieve on these in such a short amount of time. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors are pretty and the drawings excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You draw very well. I can see you are enjoying the classes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your sketches on the kraft paper are marvelous despite the issues you had with it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sketches. What is kraft paper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brown, tear resistant paper like paper grocery bags. But the art pad version I buy is much thinner so it wrinkles easily.

      Delete
  8. (Please delete any duplicate comment, as two have disappeared! I think!)
    Gorgeous life drawing as usual! Your blog consistently proves the benefit of life drawing practice. Highlights! Foreshortening! Unusual poses! I must find the time one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't care what kind of paper you create on you are an incredible artist.
    Nicole/Beadwright


    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic drawings - I love the effect of the color on the outside of the figure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your sketches are amazing. 5 minute miracles and you cannot see the wrinkles from here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice...you are so versatile!!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy cow, so long since you posted! Whatcha been up to? :D

    ReplyDelete